Re: additional json functionality - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: additional json functionality
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing-3 wrote
> On 11/18/2013 06:49 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> We could do something like SQL/XML and specify the level of "validity"
>>> in a typmod, e.g., json(loose), json(strict), etc.
>> Doesn't work; with XML, the underlying storage format didn't change.
>> With JSONB, it will ... so changing the typemod would require a total
>> rewrite of the table.  That's a POLS violation if I ever saw one
> We do rewrites on typmod changes already.
>
> To me having json(string) and json(hstore) does not seem too bad.

Three things:

1) How would this work in the face of functions that erase typemod
information?
2) json [no type mod] would have to effectively default to json(string)?
3) how would #1 and #2 interact?

I pondered the general idea but my (admittedly limited) gut feeling is that
using typemod would possibly be technically untenable and from an end-user
perspective would be even more confusing than having two types.

David J.