Re: Add %z support to elog/ereport? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Add %z support to elog/ereport?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-11-11 12:18:46 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > gettext has support for it afaics, it's part of POSIX:
>
> Really?  [ pokes around at pubs.opengroup.org ]  Hm, I don't see it
> in Single Unix Spec v2 (1997), but it is there in POSIX issue 7 (2008).
> Also, the POSIX page says it defers to the C standard, and I see it
> in C99.  Too bad not all our platforms are C99 yet :-(

Seems to be 2001:
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/fprintf.html

Even though the date says it's from 2004, it's IEEE Std 1003.1 + minor
errata.

> Actually this raises an interesting testing question: how sure are we
> that there aren't already some format strings in the code that depend
> on C99 additions to the printf spec?  If they're not in code paths
> exercised by the regression tests, I'm not sure we'd find out from
> the buildfarm.

I agree, it's problematic. Especially as such code is likely to be in
error paths. I seem to recall you fixing some occurances you found
manually some time back so we clearly don't have an automated process
for it yet.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services