Re: BUG #7817: psql does not relate to footer settings in extended mode - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #7817: psql does not relate to footer settings in extended mode
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:33:37AM +0000, emesika@redhat.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      7817
> Logged by:          Eli Mesika
> Email address:      emesika@redhat.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.7
> Operating system:   Fedora 16
>
> psql does not relate to footer settings in extended mode
> Sometimes we need to run a sql command withot generating header and footer.
> This can be done using the -t flag and --pset=footer=off
> The problem is that the footer is still diaplyed even if it was set to off
> if we use the extended mode for the query (-x flag)
>
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1) create a table without any data
> for example
> create table text(i int);
> 2) run
> psql -U <user> -t --pset=footer=off <db>
> 3) No output is generated
> 4) run
> psql -U <user> -t --pset=footer=off -x <db>
> 5) Output generated : "(No Rows)"
>
> Actual results:
> psql does not honour the footer settings when output is defined to be in
> Extended Mode
>
> Expected results:
> psql should not generate any output is query has no results and -t and
> --pset=footer=off were given

This has been fixed in PG 9.3 (released today) for the specific options
you supplied:

    $ psql -t --pset=footer=off test
    Default footer is off.
    psql (9.4devel)
    Type "help" for help.

    CREATE TABLE test (x INT);
    CREATE TABLE
    SELECT * FROM test;

    \x
    Expanded display is on.
    SELECT * FROM test;

Unfortunately, this did not fix the more simple case where
--pset=footer=off is specified, but not -t:

    $ psql  --pset=footer=off test
    psql (9.4devel)
    Type "help" for help.

    CREATE TABLE test (x INT);
    CREATE TABLE
    SELECT * FROM test;
    ---

    \x
    Expanded display is on.
    SELECT * FROM test;
-->    (No rows)

The attached patch fixes this, and makes it match the rest of the output
formats, which do honor --pset=footer=off alone for footers.

Attachment