Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Responses Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Martijn,

* Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog@svana.org) wrote:
> ISTM you want some kind of hybrid setting like:
>
> #include_system auto.conf
>
> which simultaneously does three things:
>
> 1. Sets the enable_alter_system flag
> 2. Indicates the file to use
> 3. Indicates the priority of the setting re other settings.
>
> Comment it out, ALTER SYSTEM stop working. Put it back and it's
> immediately clear what it means. And the user can control where the
> settings go.

Yeah, that's certainly an interesting idea.  I might call it
'auto_conf_file auto.conf' to avoid the '#include' concern and to
perhaps clarify that it's more than just a regular 'include'.

> Syntax is a bit fugly though.

Agreed.
Thanks,
    Stephen    (who is still unhappy about the GUC-specific handling for relative    paths in postgresql.conf)