Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Responses Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> Stephen Frost escribió:
> > * Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:

> > > The conf.d/ path would be relative to postgresql.conf, so there's no
> > > need for Debian to patch anything.
> >
> > Uhhh, I really don't see that working, at all...
>
> I don't understand why not.  Care to explain?

Tried to in my other mail, but let me also point out that we
("PGDG"/Upstream) don't "own" the directory in which postgresql.conf
lives.  At least on Debian and relatives, that directory isn't under
$PGDATA and it already has other files in it beyond postgresql.conf or
even the other PostgreSQL config files of hba and ident.  Here's the
default directory setup on Debian for /etc/postgresql/9.2/main/:

-rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres   316 Jun 29 22:07 environment
-rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres   143 Jun 29 22:07 pg_ctl.conf
-rw-r----- 1 postgres postgres  4649 Jun 29 22:07 pg_hba.conf
-rw-r----- 1 postgres postgres  1636 Jun 29 22:07 pg_ident.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres 19770 Jun 29 22:07 postgresql.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres   378 Jun 29 22:07 start.conf

There's three other files there and some sysadmins may have already
created their own 'conf.d' directory, perhaps to use for building the
postgresql.conf file or similar.  We must have a way to disable the
conf.d option and a way to name it something other than 'conf.d', imv.
Thanks,
    Stephen