Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost escribió:

> Tried to in my other mail,

Yep, got it and replied, thanks.

> but let me also point out that we
> ("PGDG"/Upstream) don't "own" the directory in which postgresql.conf
> lives.  At least on Debian and relatives, that directory isn't under
> $PGDATA and it already has other files in it beyond postgresql.conf or
> even the other PostgreSQL config files of hba and ident.  Here's the
> default directory setup on Debian for /etc/postgresql/9.2/main/:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres   316 Jun 29 22:07 environment
> -rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres   143 Jun 29 22:07 pg_ctl.conf
> -rw-r----- 1 postgres postgres  4649 Jun 29 22:07 pg_hba.conf
> -rw-r----- 1 postgres postgres  1636 Jun 29 22:07 pg_ident.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres 19770 Jun 29 22:07 postgresql.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres   378 Jun 29 22:07 start.conf
>
> There's three other files there and some sysadmins may have already
> created their own 'conf.d' directory, perhaps to use for building the
> postgresql.conf file or similar.  We must have a way to disable the
> conf.d option and a way to name it something other than 'conf.d', imv.

Uhm.  I find it hard to care much for this position.  Surely config
files are not migrated automatically from one major version to the next,
so if somebody created a 9.3/main/conf.d directory, they will have to
change it when they migrate to 9.4.