Re: DATE type output does not follow datestyle parameter - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: DATE type output does not follow datestyle parameter
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug  6, 2013 at 12:09:53PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Is this format so old that we can't fix this?
>
> Yes.  I don't see any reason to change it, either, as nobody has
> complained that it's actually bad.  If you feel a compulsion to
> change the docs, do that.

OK, seems 'Postgres' is a unique output format for 'date' too, even though
it doesn't look like the 'Postgres' timestamp output:

default    SET datestyle = 'ISO, MDY'; SELECT current_timestamp, current_date;SET              now              |
date-------------------------------+------------2013-08-06 16:18:48.218555-04 | 2013-08-06SET datestyle = 'SQL, MDY';
SELECTcurrent_timestamp, current_date;SET              now               |
date--------------------------------+------------08/06/2013 16:18:43.054488 EDT | 08/06/2013SET datestyle = 'German,
MDY';SELECT current_timestamp, current_date;SET              now               |
date--------------------------------+------------06.08.2013 16:18:59.026553 EDT | 06.08.2013

MDY    SET datestyle = 'Postgres, MDY'; SELECT current_timestamp, current_date;SET                 now
|   date-------------------------------------+------------ Tue Aug 06 16:18:53.590548 2013 EDT | 08-06-2013

DMY    SET datestyle = 'Postgres, DMY'; SELECT current_timestamp, current_date;SET                 now
|   date-------------------------------------+------------ Tue 06 Aug 16:20:23.902549 2013 EDT | 06-08-2013

I don't think there is even a documentation change I can suggest.

http://enterprisedb.com