Re: Connecting to a remote db server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Connecting to a remote db server
Date
List pgsql-admin
Struckhoff, Kevin wrote:
> I've installed postgres 9.2 on a server, call it db01. I now want to access postgres from my app server, call it
app01.

> What do I install on the app01 server? I've installed postgres 9.2 on it and set the postgresesql.conf file's
listen_addressto a value of '*' on both machines. I've also modified the pg_hba.conf file to be wide open for now on
bothmachines.

> It seems that something else is missing or needs to be done. Googling wasn't much help, the results weren't current.

What's your operating system?  There are two separate pieces, client and
server.  On the application side you don't need the server packages, so
normally there's no postgresql.conf file there at all, and no
pg_hba.conf either; both are server-side only configuration files.  You
just need libpq, and whatever client libraries your apps use.