Re: Problem: pg_hba.conf is automatically rewritten every day - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jim Mercer
Subject Re: Problem: pg_hba.conf is automatically rewritten every day
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 10:59:09PM +0700, Nghia Truong wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am the root user (except that my dedicated server is under the control of
> its company). I don't have any sysadmin script. The problem just suddenly
> occurs. I don't know why?

as best i know, with the standard postgresql installations, there is no
component that modifies the pg_hba.conf file.

from the systems perspective, it is a static config file, like postgresql.conf

some external script/facility/action is updating your pg_hba.conf file,
and that external script/facility/action is likely unique to your environment,
os installation, server management facilities.

if the timestamp of the file is being set to the same time every day, you
might check the following files:
(may or may not be on your system)

/etc/crontab
/etc/cron.d/*
/var/cron/crontab/*
/var/spool/cron/crontab/*

grep for the timestamp in:
/var/log/cron*
/var/log/auth* (remote system automatically doing sysadmin via ssh?)

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim@reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633
"He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead"