Re: Syncing local repo with apt.postgresql.org (selectively add debs to prevent uncontrolled upgrades) - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Syncing local repo with apt.postgresql.org (selectively add debs to prevent uncontrolled upgrades)
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Nicola Volpini 2013-04-15 <516BB700.7090401@kambi.com>
> Hi,
>
> we're running multiple database machines with Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04. The version of postgres in the official
repositoriesis quite old, therefore we'd like to use this nice repo you provided.
> We're using reprepro to mirror the official ubuntu repos and to provide an internal separate repository for our
custommade packages.
> We would like to make a newer version of postgres available by placing the debian packages from your repository into
ours,so to have maximum control over which version gets installed in our machines and avoid a new version of postgres
frombeing available at every synch. Since the packages and the dependencies are many and I don't want to take the risk
ofmissing some (by manually fetching each package from you repo), is there any script that downloads the main debian
packageand its dependencies?
> I'm no expert of repositories in general or of reprepro, so I'm open to any suggestion. Maybe this could be done in a
better,automated way with reprepro itself :)

Hi Nicola,

You are probably interested in a specific version of postgresql, say
postgresql-9.1. In that case, I'd suggest pulling all binary packages
built by this source package (have a look at "apt-cache showsrc
postgresql-9.1"). You'll also need "postgreql-common" and
"postgresql-client-common" (built from the "postgresql-common"
source).

(libpq5 (and friends) in the "main" repository are those built by
postgresql-9.2, these are fine to use even with postgresql-9.1.)

reprepro has built-in machinery to pull packages from other
repositories, see the "update" and "pull" commands. I forgot what the
difference between these is, but it looks like "update" would
automatically sync one distribution from a remote repo to a local
distribution, while "pull" allows you to pull specific packages.

You should probably look into setting up a pull from
apt.postgresql.org. I remember doing that once, it wants a file with a
list of packages to sync over. Shouldn't be hard to do.

The plethora of other packages are modules for specific data types and
the like, you won't need these. The dependencies between the packages
should be correct in the sense that if you missed pulling one, apt
will tell you, so if you won't run into hidden problems.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/