Google Summer of code 2013 - Mailing list pgsql-students

From Karel K. Rozhoň
Subject Google Summer of code 2013
Date
List pgsql-students
Hello everybody,

My name is Karel Rozhoň and I am in the third year of bachelor study at CTU, Faculty of information technology in
Prague(Czech Republic).

I would like to contribute to PostgreSQL and participate in the Google Summer of Code 2013. I would like to implement
parallelizationof a hash table. I am considering to use processes, because of PostgreSQL is not a thread safe, which
meansthat there could be problems with memory management. I would like learn more about bg_workers, which are in
version9.3 and when it will be appropriate use them. In the end of this project I would like to have functional version
ofparallelization of a hash aggregate. I have some basic knowledgement about hacking PostgreSQL - I am trying to make a
fewsimilar stuffs with Posix threads as a part of my bachelor thesis at this moment (My mentor in bachelor thesis is
PavelStěhule).

I have spoken about this project with Tomáš Vondra and he agreed to be my mentor.

What do you think about this project?

Thank you for your response and advice
Karel K. Rozhoň

--