Re: Why does slony use a cursor? Anyone know? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Why does slony use a cursor? Anyone know?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 08:51:11AM -0600, Shaun Thomas wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Frankly, I'm shocked at what I just found.
>
> We did a delete last night of a few million rows, and come back this
> morning to find that slony is 9-hours behind. After some
> investigation, it became apparent that slony opens up a cursor and
> orders it by the log_actionseq column. Then it fetches 500 rows, and
> closes the cursor. So it's fetching several million rows into a
> cursor, to fetch 500, and then throw the rest away.

I once had a similar problem and it looked like they were missing an
index. I asked about it and it turns out that I was running a somewhat
old version, and it was fixed in later versions.

Check that first. But ask anyway, I've always found the Slony guys very
helpful.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Attachment