Re: gitweb is no longer a real-time view - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: gitweb is no longer a real-time view
Date
List pgsql-www
Andres Freund wrote:
> > Andres Freund wrote:

> > > I think that setup is fine as far as pulling goes, but you should push
> > > directly from the individual branches.
> >
> > From the individual repos you mean?  I don't like that very much,
> > because when I back-patch something, I prefer to push all commits
> > locally to the bare mirror repo before pushing them out together to
> > gitmaster.  That way, if I notice a mistake at the last minute, I can
> > still revoke everything and start afresh.
>
> > One difference in my setup is that my bare mirror has two remotes, one
> > from gitmaster and one from the anonymous mirror.  The latter fetches
> > from cron every 5 minutes.  The other one only fetches when I invoke it
> > manually (because it needs access to my passphrase-protected SSH key).
>
> Well, then you may not use --mirror/remote.xxx.mirror mode since that a)
> pushes all branches b) pushes new local branches c) forces updates.

Hm, there are no new local branches here; I fetch to the same branches
as the other remote:

git fetch -q anon-origin master:master REL9_2_STABLE:REL9_2_STABLE REL9_1_STABLE:REL9_1_STABLE
REL9_0_STABLE:REL9_0_STABLEREL8_4_STABLE:REL8_4_STABLE REL8_3_STABLE:REL8_3_STABLE

Note this fails (which is what I want) when it's not a FF pull.  So my
local repository hasn't had any corruption.  In fact, to observe the
breakage, I had to do a "git fetch anon-origin master:anon-master".

I guess there clearly weren't enough protections in the gitmaster server
to prevent me from causing major breakage (hopefully there are now), but
then I'm so chicken that I triple-check these things before pushing, so
no major harm has been done by me to date, even though my setup may be
theoretically dangerous.