Re: What happens if I create new threads from within a postgresql function? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: What happens if I create new threads from within a postgresql function?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:46:39PM +0530, Atri Sharma wrote:

> Sent from my iPad

> >> Is there any way to locally synchronise the threads in my code,and
> >> send the requests to the PostgreSQL backend one at a time? Like a waiting
> >> queue in my code?
> >
> > Is this from the client code?  That is easy from libpq using
> > asynchronous queries.
> >

> Actually, I haven't yet faced any such scenario.I was just thinking of all the possibilities that can happen in this
case.Hehehe

> If we want to do this from a function in PostgreSQL itself, would a local synchronisation mechanism work?

So your server-side function wants to start a new backend --- yeah, that
works.   /contrib/dblink does exactly that.  Calling it from threads
should have the same limitations you would normally have from libpq.