Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Bruce Momjian 2013-02-16 <20130216013854.GD12029@momjian.us>
> I don't think "codename" is really good wording here:

That's the official Debian/Ubuntu term, though we can certainly use
something else if it makes things easier for users.

>     Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list, and add a line for the
>     repository, substituting the proper "codename" for your release deb
>
>         http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ precise-pgdg main
>
> Shouldn't we highlight where that name goes?  I am running Squeeze and
> though I know "precise" is a code-name, I found out only by accident.  I
> particularly think users will not recognize codenames of Debian release
> newer than their own.  I suggest this wording:
>
>     Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list, and add a line for the
>     repository, substituting the proper Debian release name:
>
>         http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ <i>release-name</i>-pgdg main

The instructions on the wiki page make this more clear:

 Edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list. The distributions are called
 codename-pgdg. In the example, replace squeeze with the actual
 distribution you are using:

 deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ squeeze-pgdg main

and "squeeze" is in italics there. I'll look into merging the texts to
a common version.

> as in:
>
>     sudo cat > /etc/apt/preferences.d/pgdg.pref <<END
>     Package: *
>     Pin: release o=apt.postgresql.org
>     Pin-Priority: 500
>     END

"Write this to disk as root" is suprisingly hard in shell. Your
example misses quoting, the best variant I know is

    sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/pgdg.pref <<END

which isn't very nice to look at either (and prints back stuff on
stdout).

I'm starting to think that the best version would be to have people
wget a shell script and execute that, but that's 100% evil from a
security perspective. (We will include such a script in the
postgresql-common package so if you have a recent enough install from
your vendor, you can use that, but this will not make it into
Debian/Ubuntu until the second-next releases.)

> Folks, we shouldn't be requiring decoder rings here to install Postgres
> --- we have to do better.

I don't get this, Do you mean the pgdg-keyring package?

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/