Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 09:44:22AM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Bruce Momjian 2013-02-16 <20130216013854.GD12029@momjian.us>
> > I don't think "codename" is really good wording here:
>
> That's the official Debian/Ubuntu term, though we can certainly use
> something else if it makes things easier for users.

OK.  How do people find their codename?

> >     Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list, and add a line for the
> >     repository, substituting the proper "codename" for your release deb
> >
> >         http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ precise-pgdg main
> >
> > Shouldn't we highlight where that name goes?  I am running Squeeze and
> > though I know "precise" is a code-name, I found out only by accident.  I
> > particularly think users will not recognize codenames of Debian release
> > newer than their own.  I suggest this wording:
> >
> >     Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list, and add a line for the
> >     repository, substituting the proper Debian release name:
> >
> >         http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ <i>release-name</i>-pgdg main
>
> The instructions on the wiki page make this more clear:
>
>  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list. The distributions are called
>  codename-pgdg. In the example, replace squeeze with the actual
>  distribution you are using:
>
>  deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ squeeze-pgdg main
>
> and "squeeze" is in italics there. I'll look into merging the texts to
> a common version.

Yes, that is much better.

> > as in:
> >
> >     sudo cat > /etc/apt/preferences.d/pgdg.pref <<END
> >     Package: *
> >     Pin: release o=apt.postgresql.org
> >     Pin-Priority: 500
> >     END
>
> "Write this to disk as root" is suprisingly hard in shell. Your
> example misses quoting, the best variant I know is

Oh, yes, my bad.  You are right about it being tricky.  I was unclear if
were wanting to append or replace.  If they run this twice, it would be
good if they don't get two copies of the text in that file.  Maybe:

     sudo sh -c "cat > /etc/apt/preferences.d/pgdg.pref <<END
     Package: *
     Pin: release o=apt.postgresql.org
     Pin-Priority: 500
     END"

>     sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/pgdg.pref <<END
>
> which isn't very nice to look at either (and prints back stuff on
> stdout).
>
> I'm starting to think that the best version would be to have people
> wget a shell script and execute that, but that's 100% evil from a
> security perspective. (We will include such a script in the

Yes, evil.  I think people can copy/paste OK.

> postgresql-common package so if you have a recent enough install from
> your vendor, you can use that, but this will not make it into
> Debian/Ubuntu until the second-next releases.)
>
> > Folks, we shouldn't be requiring decoder rings here to install Postgres
> > --- we have to do better.
>
> I don't get this, Do you mean the pgdg-keyring package?

It was a joke, meaning we shouldn't require special knowledge for people
to get this installed, which this does require currently.