Re: Combine Date and Time Columns to Timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Combine Date and Time Columns to Timestamp
Date
List pgsql-general
Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> test=> SELECT ('2012-10-29 '||'10:19')::timestamp;
>> timestamp
>> ---------------------
>> 2012-10-29 10:19:00
>
>  Thanks, Adrian. I suspected it was simple but I could not find a reference
> to the syntax.

Of course, since you appear to want to deal with moments in time,
timestamptz is more appropriate than just timestamp. If the values
are in UTC, then you will want to append that to the string. You
might use something like:

test=# SELECT ('2012-10-29 '||'10:19'||' +00')::timestamptz;
      timestamptz
 2012-10-29 05:19:00-05
(1 row)

If they're not already in UTC and your locale has a seasonal offset
like Daylight Saving Time, you might want to be careful with how
you handle data around the autumnal shift, or you could have things
which finish before they started.

-Kevin