Re: New Zealand Postgis DBA job vacancy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: New Zealand Postgis DBA job vacancy
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 02:45:18PM -0500, Berend Tober wrote:
> I guess I was hoping for more practical, direct insight, such as
> "Despite how skilled and a productive worker you might be, don't
> bother applying if you are anywhere near middle-age, or if you are
> likely to become middle-aged." There was this interesting 1976 movie
> called "Logan's Run" about a dystopian future that similarly
> devalued the experienced.

If it's like the Australian system then there several different
categories you can come in on.  A way it look at it is that you can
come if you can demonstrate that you will not require welfare support,
either by bringing enough money with you or having skill in some area
where there is demand.  But then there's an exception for people under
30 who are unlikely to have been able to build anything up yet, you
assume that if they have any kind of degree then they will pay for
themselves in the long run.

> I wonder, if an applicant were within the government-approved age
> range, but then worked long enough so as to exceed the limits, would
> their work visa suddenly be withdrawn, having contributed to the tax
> base and maybe established a family there, then be forced to vacate
> the premise simply because they aged out?

In my experience, as long as you're working there's never a problem
(assuming your visa allows you to work).  Marrying an Australian has to
be one of the more common ways to get permanent residency, since that
is one of the easier ways.

I've never heard of anything like the weird cases you get with those
American green cards.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Attachment