Re: New Zealand Postgis DBA job vacancy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bexley Hall
Subject Re: New Zealand Postgis DBA job vacancy
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Gavin,

[apologies if msg reference chain mangled -- forgot to Cc list  <:-( ]

On 12/26/2012 12:45 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:

> I have a close friend who is working on embedded software for a green
> house controller. He would love to use PostgreSQL, but they started
> using SQLite and pg does not appear to be suitable for embedded systems.

I'll second that!  Though, to be fair, there is a wide range of
applications that "embedded" can address.  The resources that are
available to one may be (several!) orders of magnitude different
than others.

I am currently using pgsql in an embedded system though suspect
I may have to port everything over to another engine for deployment.
There are too many assumptions made about the underlying hardware
available for pgsql that are at odds with the goals of most
embedded systems.  (e.g., I need to be able to have the DB reside
in "immutable" memory -- and the "writable" memory requirements
carefully constrained)  So, "cleverer" solutions end up prevailing.

A pity as a single embedded system deployment probably puts more
"seats" in play (e.g., easily 10,000 - 1,000,000 per design) than
*years* of "natural growth" would, otherwise.

--don