Re: TRUNCATE SERIALIZABLE and frozen COPY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: TRUNCATE SERIALIZABLE and frozen COPY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

>> This seems like a subset of the issues which one might want to
>> address by making DDL statement behave in a more strictly MVCC
>> fashion. Does it make sense to pick those off one at a time, or
>> should something like this be done only in the context of an
>> overall plan to deal with all of it?
>
> TRUNCATE is not DDL

You're right, I should have said utility commands.

> I have no interest in this other than speeding up COPY.

I would love to have that!

> Scope creep just kills features.

Well, I wasn't saying it should all be *done* at the same time, but
this is not the only utility command which could benefit from such an
effort, and if each one is done with no consideration of what it
takes for them all to be done, we could wind up with something that
doesn't hang together very coherently. Per perhaps this one could
serve as a "pilot", to identify issues and help develop such a plan.

-Kevin