Re: Pg_upgrade speed for many tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Pg_upgrade speed for many tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov  5, 2012 at 04:14:47PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Or have options for pg_dump and pg_restore to insert "set
> > synchronous_commit=off" into the SQL stream?
>
> It would be kind of neat if we had a command that would force all
> previously-asynchronous commits to complete.  It seems likely that
> very, very few people would care about intermediate pg_dump states, so
> we could do the whole dump asynchronously and then do "FORCE ALL
> COMMITS;" or whatever at the end.

Actually, I had assumed that a session disconnection forced a WAL fsync
flush, but now I doubt that.  Seems only server shutdown does that, or a
checkpoint.  Would this work?
SET synchronous_commit=on;CREATE TABLE dummy(x int);DROP TABLE dummy;

http://enterprisedb.com