When do archived WAL files gets removed after wal_keep_segments changed? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christian Hammers
Subject When do archived WAL files gets removed after wal_keep_segments changed?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

I run two PostgreSQL servers in a master-slave setup and set
wal_keep_segments=1000 on the master to allow long downtimes on the slave.

Meanwhile the disk got fuller than I estimated and I changed the config
to wal_keep_segments=500 and restarted the server afterwards.

Yet, the number of WAL segments in my archive dir was still at 1000!

I tried a random mix of VACUUM, CHECKPOINT, pg_start_backup(),
pg_stop_backup(), server restarts, googling and just plain waiting
but the number of archived WAL segments just increased to 1018.

Although I understand that I may safely delete those WAL files that
are older than the last .backup file I wonder if that shouldn't be
happen automatically. Why doesn't it?

Relevant non-default settings from the master with version 9.1.6:
 wal_level = hot_standby
 archive_mode = on
 archive_command = 'test ! -f /srv/postgresql-archivedir/%f && cp %p /srv/postgresql-archivedir/%f'
 wal_keep_segments = 500
 hot_standby = on

bye,

-christian-