Re: pg_upgrade diffs on WIndows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade diffs on WIndows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep  4, 2012 at 08:46:53PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 09/04/2012 03:44 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >
> >On 09/04/2012 03:09 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >>I realized this morning that I might have been a bit cavalier in
> >>using dos2unix to smooth away differences in the dumpfiles
> >>produced by pg_upgrade. Attached is a dump of the diff if this
> >>isn't done,  with Carriage Returns printed as '*' to make them
> >>visible. As can be seen, in function bodies dump2 has the
> >>Carriage Returns doubled. I have not had time to delve into how
> >>this comes about, and I need to attend to some income-producing
> >>activity for a bit, but I'd like to get it cleaned up ASAP. We
> >>are under the hammer for 9.2, so any help other people can give
> >>on this would be appreciated.
> >>

> >Actually, I have the answer - it's quite simple. We just need to
> >open the output files in binary mode when we split the dumpall
> >file. The attached patch fixes it. I think we should backpatch the
> >first part to 9.0.
> >

> OK, nobody else has reacted. I've spoken to Bruce and he seems happy
> with it, although, TBH, whe I talked to him I thought I understood
> it and now I'm not so sure. So we have 3 possibilities: leave it as
> is with an error-hiding hack in the test script, apply this patch
> which removes the hack and applies a fix that apparently works but
> which confuses us a bit, or go back to generating errors. The last
> choice would mean I would need to turn off pg_ugrade testing on
> Windows pending a fix. And we have to decide pretty much now so we
> can get 9.2 out the door.

I am very concerned about putting something into pg_upgrade that we
don't fully understand.  Adding stuff to pg_upgrade that we think we
understand is risky enough, as we have seen in the pg_upgrade churn of
the past week.  Let's work on chat to find the complete details --- same
goes for the log file change we are not sure about either.

pg_upgrade is so complicated that I have learned that if we don't fully
understand something, it can affect things we don't anticipate.

http://enterprisedb.com