Re: unique constraint - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ktm@rice.edu
Subject Re: unique constraint
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:46:26PM +0200, Roberto Caravani wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a little problem with a unique constraint:
>
> create table meta_data (
>     id                serial        primary key,
>     type            int            not null,
>     data            bytea        not null,
>     unique (type, data)
> );
>
> data can be quite large (a few hundred kilo bytes). The unique constraint automatically creates a btree index as I
learnedfrom the documentation. The problem is that I get an error when inserting data, that the index is to large. I
wouldlike to keep the unique constraint, is there a way to fix this?

> I googled the problem and found others having similar issues, but I have not found a solution that suited me.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Robert

Hi Robert,

You may need to store a crypographic signature for the data and unique that instead.

Regards,
Ken