unique constraint - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Roberto Caravani
Subject unique constraint
Date
Re: unique constraint  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi!

I have a little problem with a unique constraint:

create table meta_data (
    id                serial        primary key,
    type            int            not null,
    data            bytea        not null,
    unique (type, data)
);

data can be quite large (a few hundred kilo bytes). The unique constraint automatically creates a btree index as I
learnedfrom the documentation. The problem is that I get an error when inserting data, that the index is to large. I
wouldlike to keep the unique constraint, is there a way to fix this?

I googled the problem and found others having similar issues, but I have not found a solution that suited me.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Robert