Re: Last gasp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Last gasp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 02:34:30PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > The FK arrays one I'm kind of queasy about. ?It's a cool-sounding idea
> > but I'm not convinced that all the corner-case details have been
> > adequately thought through, and I'm scared of being unable to fix any
> > such bugs in later versions because of backwards compatibility worries.
> > It'd be a lot better to be pushing this in at the start of a devel cycle
> > than the end.
>
> I've been feeling that that patch has been suffering from a lack of
> reviewer attention, which is a real shame, because I think the
> functionality is indeed really cool.  But I haven't looked at it
> enough to know what kind of shape it's in.

As the reviewer, I'm not aware of any unexplored corner cases or problems that
ought to preclude commit.  That said, it is a large patch; I doubt anyone
could pick it up from scratch and commit it with less than a solid day's
effort, and 2-3 days might be more likely.  In retrospect, I should have
suggested splitting the new ON DELETE/ON UPDATE actions into their own patch.
That would have nicely slimmed the base patch and also isolated it from the ON
DELETE EACH CASCADE judgement call.