Re: pg_upgrade improvements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pg_upgrade improvements
Date
Re: pg_upgrade improvements  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> Hm. Changing libpq to use two pipes at the same time sounds considerably more
> invasive than basically just changing the socket creation and some minor
> details.

It's not something we'd back-patch, but I don't believe it'd be very
difficult to implement..

> Why would pipes be more useful? Its not like you could build useful pipelines
> with them.

The point is to avoid the risk that someone else could connect to the
database at the same time you're doing work on it.

> Also, it might open a window for implementing AF_UNIX like connections on
> windows...

That's an unrelated discussion, imv..
Stephen