Re: How to find freak UTF-8 character? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: How to find freak UTF-8 character?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 11:16:06PM +0200, Leif Biberg Kristensen wrote:
> But thank you for the idea, I think that I will strip out at least any ‎
> entities from text entered into the database.

If you're getting &lrm, you might want to check for ZWJ and ZWNJ code
points too.  They're nasty because by definition they don't display
("ZW" stands for "Zero Width".  If you ever actually have to spend
time understanding how things got this way in Unicode, you will have
my sympathy).

> By the way, is there a setting in psql that will output unprintable characters
> as question marks or something?

Not to my knowledge, although I'd expect the terminal driver to have
control over this, no?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca