Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't use "cp -i" in the example WAL archive_command. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't use "cp -i" in the example WAL archive_command.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 06/18/2011 09:19 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Thom Brown<thom@linux.com>  writes:
> >> And on a Mac (so through Darwin 10.7.0 a BSD version too):
> > Yeah, see yesterday's discussion on pgsql-admin.  I think the behavior
> > with the error return may be a BSD-ism.  In any case, GNU cp does *not*
> > do what we want, and that accounts for a sufficiently large fraction of
> > machines in the field that I think it's just unsafe to suggest using
> > "cp -i" so prominently.  There are too many people who'll just copy and
> > paste the first example provided, especially if the warning to test it
> > is buried several paragraphs later.
> >

> Yeah, I'm glad to see this go anyway. I always thought the example was
> too cute by half. Using an explicit test is much nicer and more obvious.

I think the only real risk to the 'test' example is the possibility that
they will mistype the pathname in one of the two places it is required,
or forget to change both of them at the same time.

http://enterprisedb.com