Re: pgsql: Clarify that a non-specified precision NUMERIC has a very high r - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgsql: Clarify that a non-specified precision NUMERIC has a very high r
Date
List pgsql-committers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >> I removed the extra "the", and I didn't think people were clear you
> >> could just specify NUMERIC alone. �We know you can you can do things
> >> like VARCHAR, but others will probably not realize it so I wanted to
> >> explicity mention it. �Other wording?
>
> > Oh, good catch.  I agree that removing the extra "the" is a good
> > change, but I think you should remove the parenthetical phrase you
> > added.
>
> I agree, the parenthetical phrase is entirely redundant with the earlier
> part of the sentence; or if you must have it, it belongs after
> "otherwise", not where it is.
>
> Also, could we spell "explicitly" correctly?

OK, spelling fixed, and paragraph paired down:

      The maximum allowed precision when explicitly specified in the
      type declaration is 1000; <type>NUMERIC</type> with no specified
      precision is subject to the limits described in <xref
      linkend="datatype-numeric-table">.