Re: ..horribly documented, inefficient, user-hostile, impossible to maintain interpreted language.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Radosław Smogura
Subject Re: ..horribly documented, inefficient, user-hostile, impossible to maintain interpreted language..
Date
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> Monday 04 April 2011 21:20:51
> On 04/04/11 12:07 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:
> > ..horribly documented, inefficient, user-hostile, impossible to
> > maintain interpreted language..
> > to whom might you be alluding to
>
> I only used a few of those adjectives, and prefixed them by
> hypothetical.   to be honest, I would expect most languages commonly
> used in web service environments to be more efficient at string
> processing than pl/pgsql, and I really can't think of a counterexample
> off the top of my head.

Java is such funny example, splitting even large strings is faster then in C,
because string is wrapper around char[], and splited string will be only
wrapper around same array, but with updated start, and len. But other
operations, like manual search, or creating string from array may be slower.

In any case if you think application will "grow", then I suggest you to use
higher language then triggers. You will get access to better libraries, code
is simpler to maintain, as well application is simpler to deploy. From Java
point of view, PG is currently only one, and if you put there processing, even
if you will get 10-20% boost, then with new users you may need to buy new and
_replace_  old server, in Java you may add new server to cluseter. Same with
PHP, just use Apache load balancer. Choice is yours.

Regards,
Rdek