Re: Macros for time magic values - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Macros for time magic values
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Yeh. It's not like the values 24, 12 or 60 were going to change.
>
> > I had the same thought.  OTOH, even in 9.0 we have constants for
> > BITS_PER_BYTE, DAYS_PER_YEAR (365.25), MONTHS_PER_YEAR, DAYS_PER_MONTH
> > (30, as it turns out), HOURS_PER_DAY, SECS_PER_YEAR (that's a
> > constant?), SECS_PER_DAY, SECS_PER_HOUR, MINS_PER_HOUR, USECS_PER_DAY,
> > USECS_PER_HOUR, USECS_PER_MINUTE, and USECS_PER_SEC.  And there's no
> > real reason to use those symbols in only some of the contexts where
> > they are relevant.
>
> Well, those existing symbols are there because Bruce put them in in
> previous iterations of this same sort of patch.  And as you note,

Right.

> some of them are pretty darn questionable because the underlying
> number *isn't* as well defined as all that.

The macro does allow us to centralize comments on their imprecision,
e.g.:
/* *  DAYS_PER_MONTH is very imprecise.  The more accurate value is *  365.2425/12 = 30.436875, or '30 days 10:29:06'.
Rightnow we only *  return an integral number of days, but someday perhaps we should *  also return a 'time' value to
beused as well.  ISO 8601 suggests *  30 days. */#define DAYS_PER_MONTH  30      /* assumes exactly 30 days per month
*/

> If Bruce is the only person who finds this to be a readability
> improvement, maybe we should think about backing all of those
> changes out.

Yes, it should be done consistently.

http://enterprisedb.com