Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, March 07, 2011 2:45:00 pm Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:

> Experiment 1:
> hypothesis: something about how large my table has grown is causing
> the TOAST compression to fail on COPY.
> test: pg_dump the big table, cut the dump file in half using
> "/bin/split", add "\." at the end of the file, and load the top half.
> result: database is 50 GB in size.  hypothesis proven false.
>
> Experiment 2:
> hypothesis: something about Slony is causing the TOAST compression to
> be disabled on COPY.
> test: load the 50% dump file from experiment 1 above into our Stage
> database, which was never touched by Slony.
> result: database is 50 GB in size.  hypothesis proven false.

Hmmm. Another perfectly good line of reasoning shot down. No further thoughts at
this time. May have to sit down with Jack Daniels and have a talk and see if
anything shakes loose:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com