Re: SSI and 2PC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: SSI and 2PC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 08:59:45AM -0600, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > Could people fix it after the patch?  ISTM that a great way to
> > test it is to make very sure it's available ASAP to a wide range
> > of people via the next alpha (or beta, if that's where we're going
> > next).
>
> People can always pull from the git repo:
>
> git://git.postgresql.org/git/users/kgrittn/postgres.git
>
> Also, I can post a patch against HEAD at any time.  Should I post
> one now, and then again after this is solved?
>
> Full disclosure requires that I mention that while Dan has completed
> code to fix the page split/combine issues Heikki raised, I don't
> think he's done testing it.  (It's hard to test because you don't
> hit the problem unless you have a page split or combine right at the
> point where the hash table for predicate lock becomes full.)  So,
> anyway, there could possibly be some wet paint there.

Short of a test suite that can inject faults at the exact kinds of
places where this occurs and a way to enumerate all those faults,
there's only so much testing that's possible to do /in vitro/.  Oh,
and such enumerations tend to be combinatorial explosions anyhow. :P

At some point, and that point is rapidly approaching if it's not
already here, you've done what you can to shake out bugs and
infelicities, and the next steps are up to people testing alphas,
betas, and to be completely frank, 9.1.0 and possibly later versions.

This is way, way too big a feature to expect you can get a perfect
handle on it by theory alone.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!