Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE patch v1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE patch v1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 08:31:19PM +0100, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > Do you plan to have
> >
> > ALTER EXTENSION ... UPGRADE TO VERSION ...
> >
> > , or the more general,
> >
> > ALTER EXTENSION ... ALTER VERSION TO ... ?
>
> Well why not, but I'm not sure I understand what you have in mind here.

One could imagine that an extension was updated more quickly than
PostgreSQL major versions come out, or at least not at the exact same
time.

> I don't exactly see how to install more than one version on the
> server, at the filesystem level, with the current infrastructure.

It's probably not worth worrying about the multiple version issue for
9.1, but it probably *is* for 9.2.

> The way debian solves it for multi-versions packages, such as PostgreSQL
> for example, is to add the (major) version number in the package name,
> so that you have independent packages such as:
>   postgresql-8.3
>   postgresql-8.4
>   postgresql-9.0
>
> Are you thinking about doing something similar with extensions?

Vaguely.  See above.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!