Re: Cannot start Postgres- FATAL: invalid cache id: 19 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Cannot start Postgres- FATAL: invalid cache id: 19
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 01 December 2010 1:15:45 pm Jolles, Peter M (GE Energy) wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:59 PM Vick Khera wrote:
> > the original hint said to "use a standalone backend".
> >
> > If you go to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/routine-
> > vacuuming.html
> > section 23.1.4 it will describe exactly what just happened to you and
>
> how to
>
> > recover.
>
> I apologize for the seeming dumb questions, but I have tried to start
> the database using the following command:
>
> postgres --single -D "d:/database" mydatabase

This is on Windows right, maybe:

postgres --single -D d:\database mydatabase
or
postgres --single -D "d:\database" mydatabase

> That gets me a new line in my command prompt window and nothing else.
> Postgres 8.4 at least throws a warning if I am not logged in as an under
> privileged user, but 9.0 gives nothing, no log file entries or other
> error message that indicates it is trying and why it is failing. Using
> the -r command didn't produce a log file.
>
> Trying to run the vacuumdb.exe command fails because the database isn't
> running. Using pg_ctl I can get a response, but it gives the same
> startup error as originally mentioned. I must be missing something, but
> I don't see what it is.

Vacuum is also an SQL command so you can run it from the command prompt once you
get to it:

PostgreSQL stand-alone backend 9.0beta2
backend> vacuum
backend>