Re: Proper Permissions for /usr/local/pgsql/data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Proper Permissions for /usr/local/pgsql/data
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 01 December 2010 3:01:29 pm Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
> > You should chown your data dir (/usr/local/pgsql/data) to "postgres"
> > before you run initdb.
>
>    Thank you, Dmitriy. I thought that was the proper owner but wanted to
> check first. This should be included in the document page on
> installation/upgrading. When the new version is installed in a different
> file system ownership information is not available.
>
> Rich

A couple of points.
1) From Step 5:
"Remember that you must execute these commands while logged in to the special
database user account "

To do the above the directory would need to be have permissions for the postgres
user.

2) From the beginning of the guide:
"These instructions assume that your existing installation is under
the /usr/local/pgsql directory, and that the data area is
in /usr/local/pgsql/data. Substitute your paths appropriately. "

The assumption is you are working off an existing install, so the ownership info
should already exist.

When in doubt, the best guide I have found is from the file INSTALL in the tar
ball. Add info above in upgrade case.

                               Short Version

./configure
gmake
su
gmake install
adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

--
Adrian Klaver