Re: large dataset with write vs read clients - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: large dataset with write vs read clients
Date
List pgsql-performance
* Aaron Turner (synfinatic@gmail.com) wrote:
> The graphing front end CGI is all SELECT.  There's 12k tables today,
> and new tables are created each month.

That's a heck of alot of tables..  Probably more than you really need.
Not sure if reducing that number would help query times though.

> The number of rows per table
> is 100-700k, with most in the 600-700K range.  190GB of data so far.
> Good news is that queries have no joins and are limited to only a few
> tables at a time.

Have you got indexes and whatnot on these tables?

> Basically, each connection is taking about 100MB resident.  As we need
> to increase the number of threads to be able to query all the devices
> in the 5 minute window, we're running out of memory.  There aren't
> that many CGI connections at anyone one time, but obviously query
> performance isn't great, but honestly is surprisingly good all things
> considered.

I'm kind of suprised at each connection taking 100MB, especially ones
which are just doing simple inserts.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment