Question regarding indices - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steve
Subject Question regarding indices
Date
Re: Question regarding indices  (Lew <noone@lewscanon.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hello List,

I have a small question about the order of values in a query. Assume I have a table with the following fields: uid INT,
dataBIGINT, hits INT

And an unique index on (uid, data). I use libpq C API to query data from the table. The query is something like this:
SELECT uid,data,hits FROM mytable WHERE uid=2 AND data IN (2033,2499,590,19,201,659)

Would the speed of the query be influenced if I would sort the data? I can imagine that just querying a bunch of bigint
wouldnot make a big difference but what about several thousand of values? Would sorting them and sending the SQL query
withordered data influence the speed of the query?

// Steve
--
GRATIS: Spider-Man 1-3 sowie 300 weitere Videos!
Jetzt freischalten! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome