Re: Question regarding indices - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question regarding indices
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Steve" <steeeeeveee@gmx.net> writes:
> I have a small question about the order of values in a query. Assume I have a table with the following fields:
>   uid INT,
>   data BIGINT,
>   hits INT

> And an unique index on (uid, data). I use libpq C API to query data from the table. The query is something like
this:
> SELECT uid,data,hits FROM mytable WHERE uid=2 AND data IN (2033,2499,590,19,201,659)

> Would the speed of the query be influenced if I would sort the data? I can imagine that just querying a bunch of
bigintwould not make a big difference but what about several thousand of values? Would sorting them and sending the SQL
querywith ordered data influence the speed of the query?

It's unlikely to make enough difference to be worth the trouble.
        regards, tom lane