Re: How to Insert and retrieve multilingual (Hindi "an Indian language") into PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject Re: How to Insert and retrieve multilingual (Hindi "an Indian language") into PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 04:18:48PM +0530,
 venkat <ven.tammineni@gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> I want to insert and retrieve multilingual (Hindi) into database.is
> PostgreSQL supports that ?

[Currently, I'm storing arabic texts in a PostgreSQL database.

<http://www.afnic.fr/actu/nouvelles/251/the-tunisian-internet-agency-selects-solutions-from-afnic-to-operate-its-x062a-x0648-x0646-x0633-idn-cctld>]

Actually, PostgreSQL does not know about languages (except for
services like full-text search): it stores text, period. For a long
time, PostgreSQL was able to store texts in various encodings. The
recommended one is UTF-8, which allows you to store the whole Unicode
character set.

% createdb --encoding=UTF-8 venkat

% psql venkat
venkat=> CREATE TABLE Misc (id SERIAL, content TEXT);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "misc_id_seq" for serial column "misc.id"
CREATE TABLE
venkat=> INSERT INTO Misc (content) VALUES ('Texte en français');
INSERT 0 1