Re: oracle to postgres migration question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: oracle to postgres migration question
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > Note that psql automagically right justifies numerics and dynamically
> > sizes all columns so you don't have to do as much of this stuff.
> > Oracle always made me feel like I was operating the machine behind the
> > curtain in the Wizard of Oz, lots of handles and switches and knobs I
> > had to mess with to get useful output.
>
> Yeah, I have heard that description many times in other forms.

ehh, but we provide formatting functions and you can change the output
format in psql to something more useful if you want (and there's always
COPY too).  tbh, I'm alot happier w/ psql than SQL*Plus in that regard.
People who are trying to parse psql's output directly should realize
they probably are going about it the wrong way. :)
Stephen