Re: oracle to postgres migration question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joshua Gooding
Subject Re: oracle to postgres migration question
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 6/16/2010 1:02 AM, silly sad wrote:
> On 06/16/10 02:45, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>> Note that psql automagically right justifies numerics and dynamically
>>> sizes all columns so you don't have to do as much of this stuff.
>>> Oracle always made me feel like I was operating the machine behind the
>>> curtain in the Wizard of Oz, lots of handles and switches and knobs I
>>> had to mess with to get useful output.
>>
>> Yeah, I have heard that description many times in other forms.
>
> count me in :-)
>
> i even suspect this exactly is a Secret of the oracle Power.
> "higher performance through lower level of control"

sorry for the delay guys, and thank you for all the replies.

The problem I was having, is the data in field 'track_start' was a
number type in oracle.  I switched it out to a real in postgres, however
when I displayed the column (via psql) it was printing out for example
(1.23546e12).  I know you could format the output via Sql Plus but I was
not sure what (if anything) you could do in postgres for that.  That
being said, I then re-modified the field type and it displays properly.
I went from a real to a integer type and it seemed to clear up every
issue I was having (both displaying and programatically)

--
Joshua Gooding
Software Engineer

w: 304-233-5680 x 308