Re: visibility maps and heap_prune - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: visibility maps and heap_prune
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> >> Though Alex did some useful tests and review, and in fact confirmed that the
> >> VACUUM time dropped from 16494 msec to 366 msec, I somehow kept waiting for
> >> Heikki's decision on the general direction of the patch and lost interest in
> >> between. If we are still interested in this, I can work out a patch and
> >> submit for next release if not this.
> >
> > OK, TODO added:
> >
> >     Have single-page pruning update the visibility map
> >     * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=75
> >
> > Hopefully Heikki can comment on this.
>
> I think I was worried about the possible performance impact of having to
> clear the bit in visibility map again. If you're frequently updating a
> tuple so that HOT and page pruning is helping you, setting the bit in
> visibility map seems counter-productive; it's going to be cleared soon
> again by another UPDATE. That's just a hunch, though. Maybe the overhead
> is negligible.

Should I remove the TODO item?  I updated the text to:
Consider having single-page pruning update the visibility map

and added a URL to Heikki's new comment.

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +