Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:43:48 +0000, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> I want my ability to run large batch queries without any performance
> >> or reliability impact on the primary server.
> >>

> > +1
> >
> > I can use any number of other technologies for high availability.
> >

> Remove "must be an instant-on failover at the same time" from the
> requirements and you don't even need 9.0 to handle that, this has been a
> straightforward to solve problem since 8.2.  It's the combination of HA
> and queries that make things hard to do.
>
> If you just want batch queries on another system without being concerned
> about HA at the same time, the first option is to just fork the base
> backup and WAL segment delivery to another server and run queries there.

That is a lot of administrative overhead. It is hard to say it is
equivalent to HS.

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +