Re: Allow vacuumdb to only analyze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Allow vacuumdb to only analyze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
decibel wrote:
> One of the talks at PGCon (update in place?) recommended running
> vacuumdb -z to analyze all tables to rebuild statistics. Problem with
> that is it also vacuums everything. ISTM it'd be useful to be able to
> just vacuum all databases in a cluster, so I hacked it into vacuumdb.
>
> Of course, using a command called vacuumdb is rather silly, but I
> don't see a reasonable way to deal with that. I did change the name
> of the functions from vacuum_* to process_*, since they can vacuum
> and/or analyze.
>
> The only thing I see missing is the checks for invalid combinations
> of options, which I'm thinking should go in the function rather than
> in the option parsing section. But I didn't want to put any more
> effort into this if it's not something we actually want.

This is implemented in 9.0 from vacuumdb:
  -Z, --analyze-only              only update optimizer hints

http://enterprisedb.comPG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do + If your life is a hard
drive,Christ can be your backup. +