Re: Confusion over Python drivers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Bunce
Subject Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date
Re: Confusion over Python drivers
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:19:26AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> My son has brought to my attention that our current crop of Python
> client libraries is inadequate/confusing.  I took a look myself, and
> asked on our IRC channel, and am now convinced this area needs
> attention.
>
>     http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Python
> The Python-hosted PostgreSQL page has similar problems:
>     http://wiki.python.org/moin/PostgreSQL
>
> Does Perl have a similar mess?

I don't think so.

The primary database interface is DBI and as far as I can see there's
only one DBI PostgreSQL driver: http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-Pg/

The only non-DBI interfaces I could find (by skimming the 384 results
for postgresql on search.cpan.org) were:
Postgres: http://search.cpan.org/dist/Postgres/    last updated in 1998.
Pg:       http://search.cpan.org/dist/pgsql_perl5/ last updated in 2000.

Tim.