Re: Confusion over Python drivers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date
Re: Confusion over Python drivers
List pgsql-hackers
On fre, 2010-02-05 at 09:19 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> While I realize experienced people can easily navigate this confusion,
> am concerned about new Postgres adopters being very confused by this
> and
> it is hurting our database adoption in general.
>
> What is really needed is for someone to take charge of one of these
> projects and make a best-of-breed Python driver that can gain general
> acceptance as our preferred driver.  I feel Python is too important a
> language to be left in this state.

The situation is unfortunate, but you might as well argue that too many
Linux desktops or Linux distributions confuse new users and hurt
adoption.  These alternatives all exist for a reason, and it will be
difficult to get some of them to abandon their work with the aim of
reducing the overall "confusion".