Re: set-level update fails with unique constraint violation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: set-level update fails with unique constraint violation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 10:16:10AM +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # scott.marlowe@gmail.com / 2010-01-02 11:23:24 -0700:
> > On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@sigpipe.cz> wrote:
> > > # david@fetter.org / 2009-12-31 08:04:58 -0800:

> > > thanks, this might be a bearable workaround in some cases
> > > provided there's also SET CONSTRAINTS ... DEFERRED / IMMEDIATE.
> > > what I really want is a mode that fires the constraint check
> > > at the end of the statement.
> >
> > What advantage would there be to a constraint that fires right after
> > to one that fires at the end of the transaction?
>
> What?  I didn't say that.  I'm saying that I want IMMEDIATE constraint
> that is atomic with regard to the statement.  It's obvious that
>
>   UPDATE x SET i = i + 1
>
> cannot break a UNIQUE constraint on x.i lest the constraint checking
> is not atomic.
>
> I can see how such non-atomic checking can be good performance-wise,
> but I'm more interested in logical correctness.

At least one of us hasn't understood the situation. :)

There is a problem in all released versions of PostgreSQL where, when
you issue that UPDATE, it is checked at each row.  If at any given
row, the UDPATE causes a conflict, the statement fails, even though
the whole UPDATE would have succeeded if it had completed.  The
DEFERRED uniqueness constraints in 8.5alpha3 fix this problem.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!