WEIRD! postmaster: segfault with sub select??! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reto
Subject WEIRD! postmaster: segfault with sub select??!
Date
Re: WEIRD! postmaster: segfault with sub select??!  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-general
Hi everybody,

I'm facing a strange problem with a relatively simple sub select
whereas everything else runs perfect on this machine (PG 8.4.2 @
Fedora 12, Core2 E4600, 4GB, 2 x 320GB).

# SELECT DISTINCT name FROM bbr_parts WHERE id IN (SELECT part_id FROM
bbr_v_office_to_parts WHERE office_id=39 AND office_type=9);

        before or while processing the request.

The sub select has no problems and returns 2 rows correctly:

# SELECT part_id FROM bbr_v_office_to_parts WHERE office_id=39 AND
office_type=9;
 part_id
---------
     412
     394

Replacing the sub select with these hard-coded numbers works as well:

SELECT DISTINCT name FROM bbr_parts WHERE id IN (412, 394); -- okay

What I tried so far to circle the problem:

* REINDEXing all related tables didn't solve the problem (a tip from
Tom Lange to a similar problem I've found in another posting).
* Dropped RI Constraint.
* Decreased shared_buffer down to 1MB (the minimum postmaster starts).
* Dropped the complete database and re-created it. Then, the SELECT
worked about 10 times until the problem comes back!

When nothing else helps, I will downgrade from PostgreSQL 8.4.2 to
8.3.7. Thank you for your comments.

--Reto